I love myself a cup of hot cocoa. Most of the time it is accompanied with a little dipping snack too. I am not one to get all fancy with place settings, but I do love to use a mug rug, or crumb catcher. They are small enough to be tossed into a drawers without hogging a lot of space, and they are super easy to personalize.
scraps of fabric for the mug rug top
backing fabric 8″ X 10″
scraps for applique pieces
Applique templates -print from here
Instructions for sewing your holiday mug rug:
1) Cut your fusible fleece and backing fabric to 8″ X 10″
2) Fuse your backing fabric to the fleece using the instructions provided
3) Sew your scraps to the fused pieces following this tutorial for the quilt as you go method
4) Trace your applique pieces on the Therm o Web HeatnBond fusible- follow instructions to fuse to fabric scrap
5) Cut out and place on finished mug rug top. Iron in place
6) Sew around the outside of the fused holiday applique pieces to secure- you can do raw edge applique, button hole stitch, or zig zag if you’d like.
7) Bind the edges –tutorial for binding here if you need help
These would be great for quick presents, house warming presents for holiday meals, or under your Santa drink and cookies for the special night.
For more quilt as you go fun…check these out: