Sew a fall pillow with an owl on a branch applique. Great for any room of the house. Quilt as you go method used in the background.
Today I have the opportunity to be over on the Thermoweb blog sharing a quilt as you go fall pillow.
It’s showcasing the owls from a previous wall hanging project.
Fabric strips in different widths at least 20 long
Muslin fabric the size you are finishing your pillow front at
Batting to match the size of the muslin fabric
Fabric for the pillow back
Fabric scraps for the owl, leaves, wings, and branch
You’ll need fabric strips for the background– measuring around 22″ long and fabric scraps for the owls, leaves and branch.
Fall Owl Pillow Tutorial~
1) Using the quilt as you go method lay one fabric strip in the center of the muslin and batting layer this piece will lay directly on top of the batting
2) Lay a new piece of fabric- right sides facing on top of the fabric strip
3) Sew in place along the side
4) Open the fabric and iron
5) Lay the next strip on top overlapping the edge of the previous strip and sew in place
6) Continue with this method until the whole muslin and batting top is covered
7) Sew 1/4 from the seams of the strips for a quilted look
8) Trace the templates for the owls on the HeatnBond ® Fusible Lite
9) Follow instructions on the package and fuse the template to the fabric and then cut out pieces
10) Lay in place on top of the pillow front, fuse them in place and stitch around the shapes to secure. I used a straight stitch, but a button hole or zig zag stitch would work just fine.
11) Finish the back of the pillow with your favorite closure type
Just in case you are curious– here is the wall hanging where the owls are visiting from:
Want to make it or download the owl and branch applique templates?
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!