Learn the quilt as you go method while sewing scrappy fabric ornaments for Christmas. Includes printable templates.
Today is a surprise– Christmas in July!!! I am teaming up with a few awesome others to bring you some fantastic easy, quick, and super cute ornaments!
For my ornament, I thought I would use a previous felt ornament template….but with a new twist. Using the quilt as you go technique, you can sew these up with all your tiny little fabric scrap bits. No piece is too small for this. In fact, the ornaments will look scrappier if you use smaller pieces!
scrap fabric- little or big bits of co-ordinating fabric
batting- 12″ X 12″
backing- 12″ X 12″
Scrappy Ornaments Instructions:
1) Iron all your scraps so they are nice and flat
2) Layer your backing and batting
3) Place the first piece of fabric right sides up in the center of the layered piece
4) Pin the next piece along the edge of the first piece- right sides facing and sew
5) Flip the fabric and iron- You can do some quilting right now if you’d like. I did 1/4″ from the seam and again in the center of the strip.
6) Repeat this process until your the whole piece is covered. If you need more instructions on the quilt as you go techniuque head on over here. Quilt as you go Tutorial.
7) Print and cut out the template for the ornament
8) Pin template on top of the fabric– my piece of fabric was large enough to cut out two of each shape.
9) Sew around the template.
10) Cut out with pinking shears
11) Cut a ribbon 8″. Fold in half and cross the ends- sew to the front of the shape.
Here are a few more Christmas fun posts: