This site uses affiliate links. If you click and purchase from them, I'll earn a small commission.
With this baby quilt tutorial you will be using the disappearing four patch quilt block. It’s the criss cross quilt block.
The Disappearing quilt blocks are a lot of fun. The four patch is super simple…but what’s different about this one is that you are cutting it in a corner to corner shape….. so you get some fun designs when you put it back together again.
finished size: 41″ X 35″
The blocks can be made using charm packs and then use larger yardage for the borders. If you’d like you can increase the amount of blocks than the 12 that I put together. It’s a bit small– perfect for newborns, but when they get larger you will need a bigger size.
Looking at the baby quilt from farther away I noticed that I placed the colors in order so they show a pattern going diagonally. You can choose to do more of a scrappy look- depending on the fabric you use.
24– 5″ X 5″ dark fabric
24– 5″ X 5″ background fabric
2– 31″ X 2″
2– 26″ X 2 ”
2– 34″ X 4 1/2″
2– 26″ X 4 1/2″
outer border corners: 4– 4 1/2″ X 4 1/2″
Disappearing Baby Quilt Tutorial
1) Following the tutorial for the disappearing four patch quilt block— the criss cross way….sew up a total of 12 —- 8″ X 8″ quilt blocks
2) Sew the blocks into 3 rows of 4 disappearing blocks
3) Sew the rows together
4) Sew the inner border to the quilt top center
5) Sew two outer squares to the ends of two outer borders
6) Sew the outer borders to the quilt top center
7) Layer with batting and backing and quilt
The sewing cottage is still a bit chilly, so no quilting has been going on. This will be on my list to do first though because it’s great to have a baby quilt ready to go!
Need help with a few steps?
Here are extras to help you with:
- Machine Quilting
- disappearing quilt blocks including the 9 patch, 16 patch and a couple of criss cross funs!