Disappearing 16 Patch Quilt Block Tutorial
Learn how to sew a Disappearing 16 patch quilt block. You will end up with 2 finished quilt blocks! Super fun and easy to sew.
I am really starting to like the disappearing quilt blocks. They are so fun and exciting! You never really know what they will end up like in the end. After you sew them and cut them up you then get to play with the layout.
It’s so much fun to see the different combinations there are! Especially if you use a lot of fabric like your scraps. These are perfect for those.
For the Disappearing 16 patch, it was no different from the other blocks…except that you get 2 finished blocks out of the one 16 patch that you sew! Double the pleasure!
- 16– squares random, scrappy squares. You can decide what size to use, just make sure they are all the same
- rotary cutter & ruler
16 Patch Quilt Block Instructions:
1) Lay the squares out and play with their placement. I went with a Bargello style of block.
2) Sew all the blocks together to make a 16 patch
3) Take your ruler and line it up -corner to corner. Cut on the line. Make sure you are cutting at each point on the blocks
4) Without moving the quilt block, line up the ruler again- corner to corner and cut
5) Make a pile with your new formed triangles and start matching them up. You will have some fun coming up with the combinations!
6) Repeat with the remaining triangles. You will end up with 2 finished quilt blocks for every 1 large 16 patch quilt block.
Click on the page # below to see how these blocks are laid out + more disappearing quilt blocks~
In the example I used only 4 fabrics, feel free to mix them up and use a bunch! The outcome will be different each time.
Disappearing Quilt Blocks & Patterns ebook-
Have you used this method before? What did you find was the most successful?