This site uses affiliate links. If you click and purchase from them, I'll earn a small commission.
Quilt as you go is such a quick and awesome way to whip up a project! This quilt as you go hot pad pattern is the easiest thing to make. Not a fan of the corner finger pockets? Leave them out. You can quickly sew these up in around 30 minutes. Seriously.
I kind of like my hot pads to be a little thicker- don’t like to burn my hands, so for this tutorial I made them double sided. Each side of the hot pad has it’s own batting. You could use the insul bright batting, but I figured 2 pieces was fine. Feel free to make adjustments if you’d like.
I also don’t love my fingers to pop out of the ends when I grab something- so I put little triangle pockets on opposite corners. My hand isn’t so large, so next time I would make them a little bit bigger- by my thumb can go into one of them at least.
2– 7 1/2″ X 7 1/2″ batting per hot pad
fabric strips -follow the tutorial here for more info
2 — 3″ X 3″ for corner finger pockets
1″ X 30″ binding strip
Quilt as you Go Hot Pad Pattern – Raw edge technique~
1) Cut batting 7 1/2″ X 7 1/2″ ( you might want to check this measurement against the size that you like. Your hand might be too small or large- make your adjustments now)
2) Following the quilt as you go raw edge technique – cover the top of one side
3) Trim the whole block to 7″ X 7″
4) Lay Wrong Sides Together and pin or pinch in place with clips
5) Stitch all the way around the square to secure
6) Fold in a diagonal and iron to crease. Place one triangle in each corner opposite each other. Stitch in place or pin in place.
7) Cut a binding fabric 1″ X 30″
7) Fold binding in half- wrong sides facing and iron
8) Place the hot pad in between the binding piece and pin or secure with clips
9) Stitch twice around the hot pad 1/8th inch from edge
10) Repeat with a second stitch
11) Rub the raw edges of the binding and the strips in the hot pad to make them ravel just a bit
Close up of the raw edges
Extra Materials I mention:
Wonder red clips (love these!)
Clover Hem Tape Maker – don’t love the raw edge binding? Give this a try.
Visit here for more quilt as you go projects.