How To Use A Thimble Video Tutorial
For a bit there I didn’t know how to use a thimble.
It’s kind of tricky and really it’s a learned position for your fingers! Mine are still learning what works and what doesn’t.
They are still picking up old habits, getting in the way and the occasional little prick from the needle happens.
I am not a pro, and still fiddle quite a bit when I use a thimble– that darn finger still likes to stick out and pretend it’s injured…but I am getting better with a bit more practice.
Here’s a quick how to use your thimble:
- place the thimble on your middle finger
- pinch your needle in between your thumb and first finger
- the eye end of the needle will butt right up against either the side of the thimble or the top of the thimble- really depends on how you like to put it
- push the needle with the thimble through the fabric, guiding it with the opposite hands fingers
- you can wear a rubber thimble on your first finger to help with grabbing the needle and pulling it through the multiple layers of fabric
Want to give Hexagons a try? Check out the hexagon page for all the info you need + printable templates!
Looking for some embroidery projects now that you have your thimble and thread stitching down?
Make a stitchery with your homes picture
Free Christmas Embroidery designs (it’s never too soon to start a project!)
How To’s- Embroidery Stitch:
- Chain Stitch
- Button Hole Stitch
- Ladder Stitch
- Whip Stitch
- Embroidery Stitch Resources
- Embroidery Stitches for Samplers
- Embroidery Stitches for Wool Applique
Other Kinds of Embroidery
Have any hints for using your thimble? What works well for you?