You know all of those hexagons you have laying about? Maybe you started your little collection of flower hexagons?
They can be used in a little project– a pincushion. No need to go overboard with the amount of hexagons…. you will just need 7 for this project!
7 hexagons for the flower
background for the flower- 8″ X 8″
base for the pin cushion 8″ X 8″
polyfil stuffing or crushed walnut shells
side of pincushion 2 1/2″ X 18″
Hexagon Flower Pincushion Tutorial~
1) Sew up 7 hexagons- reminder tutorial on how to hand sew hexagons
2) Sew your hexagons into a flower shape– quick tutorial to show you how.
3) Print out a large 5″ hexagon. Cut out the template and cut around your fabric leaving lots of forgiving space
4) Pin your hexagon flower in place on top of the backside piece
5) Hand stitch the flower down- your stitches will travel underneath the fabric and you just barely take the edge of the hexagon before going back down. If you kind of hide the stitch on the underneath side, your stitches will not show from above
6) Remove the paper under the hexagons before stitching is done!
7) Cut around the flower using the hexagon template — I added 1/2″ around every side to make the pin cushion just a bit larger
7) Sew the ends of the strip together to make a tube. Sew your side piece to the top of the hexagon — when you get to the points of the hexagon, you will STOP stitching 1/4″ from the point — leave your needle in the down position and pivot the materials. Realign them for the next edge. Repeat the process at each corner
8) Using the same method, sew the bottom of the pin cushion to the side–leaving a 2″ opening for turning
9) Turn the pin cushion right sides out and push those points out
10) Stuff how you like- I used some crushed walnut shells as well as polyfil. Here are some other great filler ideas for pin cushions.
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!