Dresden Plates are a lot of fun to make….but what if you don’t own that special ruler? Are you out of luck and can’t give this fun block a try?
No way! Today we’ll go over a quick way to make your own dresden plate template.
card stock paper or something else that will work for a template
Dresden Plate Template Instructions:
1) Measure a line along the bottom 3 1/2″ in length. No matter how tall you want your dresden to be, this is a pretty standard size along the bottom. This actually turns out to be the ‘top point’ of the dresden, just to let you know.
2) Measure and mark the center of the 3 1/2″. It is 1 3/4″
3) Measure and mark the height of your dresden that you’d like. I made mine 5″ tall.
4) Measure and mark 1/2″ from each side
5) Draw a line lining up the 1/2″ marks at the top to the bottom corners
6) Cut out template
Quick notes about the template. The skinny part is actually the bottom of the dresden. The wider end will be sewn together and make the point at the tip of the dresden.
If you’d like a chunkier shape, make the 1″ at the top wider! You can practice a few different sizes with fabric scraps until you get the shape that you are going for.
Now that you have your template….. head on over and find out how you can sew the dresden!
Do you have any dresden plate tips or hints? What works best for you?