The Dresden Plate template is something you can give yourself a try at making!
They are fun to sew ….but what if you don’t own that special ruler? Are you out of luck and can’t give this fun block a try?
Today we’ll go over a quick way to make your own dresden plate template.
card stock paper or something else that will work for a template
Dresden Plate Template Instructions:
1) Measure a line along the bottom 3 1/2″ in length. No matter how tall you want your dresden to be, this is a pretty standard size along the bottom. This actually turns out to be the ‘top point’ of the dresden, just to let you know.
2) Measure and mark the center of the 3 1/2″. It is 1 3/4″
3) Measure and mark the height of your dresden that you’d like. I made mine 5″ tall.
4) Measure and mark 1/2″ from each side
5) Draw a line lining up the 1/2″ marks at the top to the bottom corners
6) Cut out template
Quick notes about the template.
- The skinny part is actually the bottom of the dresden.
- The wider end will be sewn together and make the point at the tip of the dresden.
If you’d like a chunkier shape, make the 1″ at the top wider! You can practice a few different sizes with fabric scraps until you get the shape that you are going for.
Now that you have your template….. head on over and find out how you can sew the dresden!
And- here are some fun quilts to make with them!
20 + Dresden Plate quilt tutorials
All about dresden plates– hints, tips, templates and projects
Do you have any dresden plate tips or hints? What works best for you?
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!