How to Sew a String Quilt
In my local quilt last month we learned a little bit about how to sew a string quilt. I was so surprised at how simple it was to sew….and with the foundation piece you can keep control of all the pieces.
The process is very similar to Mile a Minute sewing….except you have a back or foundation piece.
There isn’t any hard and fast rule with the size of the foundation piece. You can pick the size– and then cut enough foundations
random strips of fabric
foundation piece -you pick your shape and size
How to Sew a String Quilt~
1) Cut your foundation pieces to the size you’d like your finished block to be (or maybe add just a titch so you can trim it later)
2) Taking your first background piece and lay one strip right sides facing up– pin in place if you need
3) Lay the second strip right sides facing the previous strip. Sew to secure
4) You can totally speed piece through this part. Sewing one piece after another.
5) Iron the strip back
6) Continue the process on either side of the strip that you placed at the beginning, until the foundation piece is completely covered
7) Place right sides down and trim your block using the foundation piece as your guide
Ready to make a string pieced quilt?