Last year I had made a few heart quilt blocks — but didn’t have a project for them to go into! After looking at their size I found that they were the perfect size for making a pillow cover for a bolster pillow I have in the living room.
They are made with a basic 4 patch…if you can believe it. Super simple and perfect for making in one afternoon.
The pillow cover features a flap that covers the opening for the pillow form to go into. Works great! Plus it’s super simple to sew and not as complicated as you think.
This would make a great project for Valentines or any time of year you feel you need some ‘love’ through out your home.
2 Heart Quilt Blocks –tutorial here!
backing of pillow-13″ X 26″ — you can use one piece of fabric or piece a few together to make this size. Either option will work
ric rac 14″ (optional)
overlap flap- 10″ X 13″
pillow form — My couch bolster pillows aren’t quite circle though….so I’m not sure what else to call them. They are fat and thick…just don’t have the round ends.
Heart Bolster Pillow Cover Tutorial~
1) Sew the two heart quilt blocks together, side by side
2) Sew the back to the front, leaving one whole end open- turn right sides out and set aside for later
3) Sew the ric rac along the top edge of the overlap flap- the 13″ edge
4) Fold the ric rac over and iron well
5) Hem the sides of the overlap flap (just fold the side once, then sew)
6) Pin the flap- right sides facing one side of the pillow sleeve. The sides of the flap will be just smaller than the pillow sleeve
7) Sew along the pinned edge
8) Fold the flap open and iron
9) Stuff your pillow form inside the pillow sleeve
10) Fold the flap over to the other side and pin in place
12) Tack stitch at the ends — to remove the pillow form later- fold the flap to the other side revealing the opening.
Here is the front:
Here is the back:
- Flimsy to Finished - May 31, 2023
- 10 Fabulous Quilt Border Ideas - May 29, 2023
- Walkabout Day 43 - May 29, 2023
Leave a Reply