Red, white and blue is a classic. Such a great color combination for the whole summer.
I thought about keeping it simple and not going over board with a mega diy project.
This star banner can be made in a couple of hours…. perfect for those last minute bbq’s and backyard parties.
It’s a no sew diy project….. just right for those of you who don’t have a sewing machine yet or have one, but don’t have the time to sew!
5 strips of fabric – for the banner– red white or blue white ticking fabric works great! 4 1/2″ X 13″
5 squares 4″ X 4″ – for the stars
Heatnbond lite- fusible
ribbon or string 90″
4th of July Star Banner Tutorial:
1) Cut your fusible into 5 pieces for the banner: 4 1/2″ X 6″
2) Place your fusible on the wrong side of half of the banner fabric, follow the directions to fuse in place
Find the center of the ribbon. This is where your first banner will be placed, centered on that mark
3) Remove paper and fold the banner in half with the ribbon sandwiched at the top- fuse in place
* Repeat with the other banner pieces, spacing them 6″ apart along the ribbon.
4) Mark 2 1/4 or the center of the banner 1 1/2 inch from the bottom edge
5) Using pinking shears, cut from the corner to the center mark. Repeat from other corner
6) Follow the instructions and fuse the fusible heatnbond to the wrong side of the star fabric
7) Draw a star. Trace around it until you are happy with the shape. Cut out the star and use this as a template for the other 4 stars
8) Fuse the stars onto the banners
If you’d like you can sew the edges of the banner and the star, but it isn’t necessary. If your banner shifts because the ribbon doesn’t hit the fusible, you can place a couple drops of glue on the ribbon and slide the banner in place or a thin trip of fusible.
You could do more than 5 little banners with stars. Depending on the look you are going for, or you can adjust the length of the ribbon if you have a specific place you are hanging them which is smaller or larger.
This no sew project is very adjustable! Great diy project for a backyard summer picnic.