The pineapple quilt block is very similar to the log cabin quilt block. The only difference being that the corners are cut off.
It is kind of a traditional quilt block and one that if you use contrast between the rows it can be very striking.
Pineapple Quilt Block Tutorial
2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ center square
2- 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ and 2- 2 1/2″ X 6 1/2″ first round
2- 2 1/2″ X 4 1/2″ and 2- 2 1/2″ X 8 1/2″ second round
2- 2 1/2″ X 6 1/2″ and 2- 2 1/2″ X 10 1/2″ third round
2- 2 1/2″ X 7″ and 2- 2 1/2″ X 11 1/2″ 4th round
2- 2 1/2″ X 8″ and 2- 2 1/2″ X 12 5th round
1- 10″ X 10″ square for outer corners
Pineapple Quilt Block Instructions:
1) Sew the first round on the center square.
2) Measure and mark the center of the patchwork square.
3) Lining the ruler up— the 45 degree angle will be right on top of the seam around the center block and using the marks of the centers, cut the corners off.
4) Sew the next round onto all sides of the new patchwork quilt block.
5) Repeat– marking the center of the square, lining the ruler up and cutting the corners off– notice that the ruler hits 1/4″ past the point on the first couple of cut off’s. The more rounds you do, the deeper the cut. Yes, you will be cutting points off!
6) Continue with this process of sewing and then cutting the corners off until you have used all the strips.
7) Cut your 10″ square into 4 triangles
8) Sew the triangles to each corner of the block.
Now, if you will notice..there will be a pile of triangles and corners left over. I find that this block produces a lot of wasted fabric. Not being to fond of that, I found a little project to put them into. Stay tuned next week for a tutorial dealing with those corners!
Have you sewn this block before? What is your favorite layout?
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!