This pillowcase with cuff isn’t as hard as it seems. This is a great sewing project for a kid. Find out how to sew it up in around an hour.
A pillowcase is a simple project for kids to learn and practice sewing with the sewing machine on. It has lots of long straight lines to stitch. Great for learning to keep the fabric straight, the edges lined up and the seam allowance consistent.
This pillowcase is a little bit different as it has a cuff….but there is something inside as well! It’s a hidden little cuff inside that holds the pillow in place and doesn’t let it scoot out when you are sleeping and snoozing.
It’s really not as hard as you thinking and panicking about right now. This was part of a sewing project for my daughter…and if she can sew it, you can sew it!
- Pillowcase Front: 19 x 23 inches
- Pillowcase Cuff: 19 x 13 inches
- Pillowcase Back: 19 x 35 1/2 inches
Supplies you may need:
- Rotary cutter or a new sharp blade
- Cutting Mat
- Quilt Ruler
- Sewing Machine this brother is my favorite!
- Iron here or here
- Seam Ripper not my favorite thing to do!
Pillowcase with Cuff Tutorial:
1) Fold the cuff in half and iron to crease
2) Pin the cuff fabric to one side of the pillowcase fabric- lining raw edges together
3) Sew them together
4) Open the cuff and iron
5) Sew a top stitch along the sewn seam on the right sides of the fabric 1/8″ seam is perfect for top stitching
6) Fold the opposite side 1/4″ and iron
7) Fold the side again 1/4″ and iron
8) Sew the hem
9) Layer the pillowcase backing and the front with the cuff -right sides together- the backing will be longer than the front- pin along the sides
10) Fold the extra backing on top of the cuff -notice it’s just a little shorter than the cuff part, and finishing pinning the sides
11) Sew all the way around the pillowcase and turn right sides out
Stuff the pillowcase with your pillow, making sure the little extra inside cuff covers the pillow
This is part of the Sewing Projects for Kids series. Watch for more kids sewing projects!
Until then, you’ll find previous sewing projects for kids here!