Sew a quilt using the disappearing pinwheel quilt block. Fruit Slices is the quilt name. Super quick and easy! Lap size.
Today we are going to have some fun with Blend Fabrics. Taking a hint from the fabric– being it kitchen themed and all, and loving the look of the disappearing pinwheel quilt block, they were put together for this quilt.
Named- Fruit Slices. This block reminds me of slices of fruit! The small pinwheel in the center with the churndash (changed up just a bit) made it look like the rhine of the fruit.
The fabric was a delight to sew and even though the value of the print isn’t that different, I love the finished look. It’s cool. It’s fresh. It is summer. This is the quilt you can take outside under a tree, lounge for a bit and sip some lemonade. (while your kiddos are going crazy around you)
Fruit Slices Quilt
Finished block size: 13 1/2″ X 1 3 1/2″
Finished Quilt Size: 48″ X 48″
18 background- 8″ X 8″
18 fruit slices color- 8″ X 8″
Border: 4- 4 1/2″ X 40″
Corner for the border: 4– 4 1/2″ X 4 1/2″
Instructions for Fruit Slices Quilt:
1) Sew 9 Disappearing Pinwheel quilt blocks (here is a disappearing pinwheel quilt block tutorial to help you out)
Quick instructions for this technique:
- draw a line on the wrong side of the background, corner to corner on all squares
- place right sides together, one background and one fruit color
- sew 1/4″ on either side of drawn line
- cut on drawn line
- sew 4 half square triangles into a pinwheel block. Repeat for a total of 9 pinwheel blocks
- cut your pinwheel into 3 sections- side to side. You will be cutting each section 4 3/4″ wide
- cut your pinwheel into 3 sections- top to bottom. You will be cutting each section 4 3/4″ wide
- each block will now have 9 squares 4 3/4″ X 4 3/4″
- lay out your block and sew the 9 squares back together. Repeat for a total of 9 fruit slice blocks.
When laying out your blocks after you cut them, you will need to make sure they are in this configuration. This is what makes the fruit slices.
2) Sew 3 blocks in a row together. Repeat with the other blocks to make 3 rows of 3 blocks each.
3) Sew the 3 rows together to make the center of the quilt.
4) Sew a border 4 1/2″ X 40″ to the top and bottom of the quilt center
5) Sew the 4 1/2″ X 4 1/2″ square to each end of the remaining two border pieces
6) Sew these borders to the sides of the quilt center
7) Layer your quilt top, batting and backing.
8) Quilt and bind
This quilt would be super cute in brights or even solids. The more contrast between the fabric and background, the more you can see the fruit slice shape.
You can snatch up the full pattern for the disappearing quilt blocks as well as 4 projects using those blocks— in the Disappearing Quilt Blocks ebook:
The Fruit Slices quilt is included– as well as the disappearing pinwheel quilt block. Click here to get the Disappearing Quilt Blocks & Patterns ebook for $10 —
Use the code: disappearingebook5
if needed at checkout