These snappy bags are a lot of fun….the top stays shut because of the measuring tape. It’s almost magical!
I’ve been wanting to make one for awhile now and finally got around to it. For this one, I used orphan quilt blocks.
Supplies for Sewing:
measuring tape– one you can cut up!
scissors- yucky scissors that can cut metal
2 quilt blocks for the outside + 2 squares the same size as the quilt blocks OR 4- 6 1/2″ X 6 1/2″ squares
2- 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ squares for pull
2- 3″ X 6 1/2″ for the casing of the tape
Instructions for Snappy Pouch~
1) Cut your measuring tape smaller than the quilt blocks you are sewing with. Mine were cut to just under 6″ long
2) Snip the corners of the measuring tape with scissors. Make sure these are yucky scissors…this isn’t very good for them! You will need the corners snipped or they will cut through the casing.
3) Fold the ends of the casing 1/4″ and iron
4) Fold the casing in half and iron- repeat with second casing and set aside
5) Fold the 2 1/2″ squares in half diagonally and iron
6) Fold in half again diagonally and iron
7) Pin in the center of the outside piece. Repeat with second pull- you can sew a stay stitch if you’d like to secure them better
8) Pin together- right sides facing- the outside quilt blocks or squares and sew on all three sides. Turn right sides out
9) Pin and sew –seam is smaller than 1/4″– the casing for the measuring tape across the top of the bag. Repeat with second casing.
10) Pin and sew -right sides facing- the lining pieces for the bag. Leave an opening on the bottom for turning later
11) Stuff the outside piece inside the lining and pin the side seams together
12) Sew across the top of the bag
13) Pull right sides out and stuff the lining inside the bag
14) Slide the measuring tape pieces inside the casing- use the image below to make sure you have placed them correctly or the snappy won’t work.
15) Sew the ends of the casing to secure the tape inside
16) Stuff the casing INSIDE the bag
17) Fiddle with the top edge and sew a finishing seam across the top
Stuff full of little goodies!
- Flimsy to Finished - May 31, 2023
- 10 Fabulous Quilt Border Ideas - May 29, 2023
- Walkabout Day 43 - May 29, 2023
Leave a Reply