Nautical Pillow Pattern
This pillow might look a little complicated, but you’ll find it’s not! The pleated edges surrounding the center stitching is folded….easy to do!
Trace the drawing onto your fabric and then thread draw on top with a dark thread. The lines won’t be perfect, but that is the whole idea around the design. Add a little bit of fabric for raw edge applique.
finished size: 14″ X 15″
You can finish this pillow in an afternoon….. and then it’s time to toss it on the porch and relax!
1/4 yard front of pillow
1/4 yard back of pillow
fabric scraps- boat, flowers and flag
stitching background- 9″ X 9″ + same size stabilizer if needed
heat n bond lite fusible
pillow form or polyfil stuffing
Nautical Template— download template here!
Nautical Pillow Pattern~
1) Trace the stitching onto the pillow center background
2) Trace and cut out applique pieces for boat, flowers and flag- fuse in place
3) Using dark thread and a walking foot on your sewing machine, stitch the applique 1/8″ seam (raw edge applique)
4) Continue stitching on top of the drawn lines. It’s just fine if you don’t follow them directly or have to go over them a couple of times. This is a loose way of quilting and isn’t exact. Also- don’t stitch everything that is drawn. Pick out a few waves and objects to stitch. This will keep the pillow basic and not too busy of a pattern.
5) Trim center to 9″ X 7″
1) Cut 2 strips from pillow front 7″ X 15″
2) Sew these strips to either side of the center block
3) Fold the right side strip 3 times towards the center and pin in place
4) Iron and stitch the edge 1/8″ seam to secure
5) Fold the left side strip 2 times towards the center and pin in place
6) Iron and stitch the edge 1/8″ seam to secure
7) Trim this center piece to 14″ X 15 1/2″
8) Cut 2 pieces for the borders: 15 1/2″ X 4 1/2″
9) Sew these strips to the top and bottom of the center piece
1) Cut your backing: 10 ” x 14″ and 11 1/2″ X 14″
2) Hem along the 11 1/2″ edge
3) Overlap the pieces and adjust to measure 15 1/2″ X 14″ –hem should be in the middle of the pillow
4) Layer front and backside of pillow. Pin along the sides
5) Sew all the way around the pillow, trim corners, turn right sides out
Looking for more fun pillows to sew?
Check out all the pillow tutorials here!