Learn how to make prairie points for your sewing projects. Quick and simple and a great addition to any project!
I love prairie points. They are a great way to add a little bit of fun and interest to a plain sewing project.
They can be made with one fabric, or they can be make with a bunch of different fabrics, making them more scrappy.
fabric squares- I use 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ squares. They make a great sized prairie point. You can give a few different sizes a try and find what works best for your project.
How to make Prairie Points~
1) Fold your square in half diagonally and iron
2) Fold your triangle in half again diagonally and iron. Notice that one side will be the fold and the other will be two folds.
3) Continue this process until you have all the prairie points you need
How to sew the pairie points to your project~
1) Lay the first prairie point at the end of your project or start point
2) Place the next prairie point, tucking the single fold in between the double fold of the previous point
3) Continue tucking the prairie points in between each other until the end of your project.
* if there is a corner, place the last point 1/4″ from the edge. When you sew the seam, this will let the point end at the corner and not overlap it causing a tuck or pucker.
4) Pin the points where they overlap to secure.
5) Sew a scant seam to secure. Make any kind of adjustments before you sew them down. They tend to scoot or shift sometimes.
Would you like to use them in your quilt? Here’s a great tutorial on making that happen.
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE THE HOW TO SEW PRAIRIE POINTS TUTORIAL TO YOUR FAVORITE DIY PINTEREST BOARD!
What kind of projects do you use prairie points in?
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!