Free Snowman Quilt Pattern
During the cold winter, nothing is better than hanging out with a snuggly quilt and some stitching on the lap. This snowman quilt reminds me of the fun that snow brings with it when it’s fresh and the kids are hopping about ready to head out and go play. It’s a fun quilt- with a little bit of character with each snowman face.
— it’s a super quick quilt to sew. Plus, you can use up your scrap corners for a matching pillow. This makes a fun set for giving or tossing on the couch during those long winter months.
The nose on the snowman are applique. Nothing fancy– and you can play with the placement to give them some character.
You are to begin?
45 5 X 5 blue fabric for 9 patch quilt blocks you can use fat eights in a variety of prints to get a scrappy look 7/8 yard total
16 5 X 5 blue fabric for corners of snowman blocks half yard
4 14 X 14 white/light fabric- snowman faces or 3/8 yard
orange scraps 6 X 3 for carrot noses
4 41 X 3 blue fabric for the border half yard
4 3 X 3 white corners of border
Batting and backing- 50 X 50
Free Snowman Quilt Pattern
1) Sew 5 9 patch quilt blocks using the 5 squares
2) On the wrong side of the 16- 5 squares, draw a line from corner to corner
3) Draw a second line 1/2 from the previous line
4) Place one blue square in the corner of the white square- the second line will be on the outside of the block
5) Sew on both drawn lines
6) Cut in between the sewn lines and iron set aside the half square triangle for a second project which is the snowman pillow!
7) Repeat with all 4 corners of the snowman
8) Draw 4 snowman noses approximately 5 long and largest end is 2 1/2-3â€² wide.
9) Trace the triangle to the fusible heatnbond lite
10) Fuse to the wrong side of the orange fabric and cut out
11) Place on the snowman head and fuse in place
12) Sew two buttons on the block for eyes
14) Sew a border to the top and bottom of the quilt
15) Sew the 4 light 3 squares to each end of the remaining two border strips
16) Sew these to the sides of the quilt
17) Layer your quilt- batting and backing and quilt
18) Bind your quilt
Remember that you can sew up a cute matching Pillow with those leftover corners!
Looking for other cute snowman projects? You’ll find a few here:
What’s your favorite Winter sewing project?
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!