Chunky Wheel Table Runner Tutorial
Half square triangles can be a lot of fun to sew with. They are quick to sew and can be rearranged into a variety of different layouts.
This table runner features 3 quilt blocks. They are kind of a chunky wheel– thus the name.
It is charm pack friendly. Divide the pack into lights and darks. The background doesn’t have to be a solid. It can be just a lighter than the dark fabric– has enough contrast to stand out. The design does blend the fabrics together if they are the same value, but when you look at it from farther away, you do see the chunky wheel.
Fabric used is from Andover Fabrics the joyful line.
12– 5 1/2″ X 5 1/2″ background
12– 5 1/2″ X 5 1/2″ colored fabric
24– 4 1/2″ X 4 1/2″ colored fabric
2– 49″ X 2″
2– 20″ X 2″
Instructions for Table Runner~
1) Draw a line from corner to corner with a pencil on the wrong side of the light fabric
2) Sew on either side of the drawn line
3) Cut on drawn line – you will have two half square triangles
4) Iron and trim if needed to 4 1/2″ X 4 1/2″
5) Lay the pieces out in the following order– repeat three times for three quilt blocks
6) Sew them into rows- sew the rows together
7) Sew the rows together for the finished quilt block- three times
8) Sew the three quilt blocks together
9) Sew your borders around the table runner center
10) Layer with batting and backing and quilt and bind
This blog post has been converted to an optional PDF that’s optimized for printing. Find more here. The blog post is totally free to read, print, and sew! The PDF tutorial & download for $2 is totally optional.