Sewing with templates can be sometimes not so fun. You have to have special supplies or templates before you can even begin. The Apple Core is one of those that is a bit challenging to sew, but so wonderful when it’s all done!
I shared over on the All Free Sewing blog how you how you can make your template….and it’s totally customize-able. You can go mega large or small enough to pack around and hand stitch if you’d like.
paper- can be any color or white. Heavier cardstock works great for making templates with. Check out another post here for materials you can use for template making.
something round- I used a plate which measured 5 1/2″ circle (if you’d like to go mega large, find and use a platter. Smaller– how about a tea cup plate.
How to make an apple core template tutorial:
1) Lay your plate on top of your paper and trace with a pencil. Repeat with second paper.
2) Cut out the circles with scissors
3) Fold the circle in half and crease well
4) Fold the circle in half again and crease well. Repeat these steps with the second circle.
5) Lay one circle on top of the other —matching up the creases on the sides like this:
6) Draw a line following the top circle with your pencil.
7) Cut out along lines you have drawn –revealing the apple core shape.
This final shape will be larger than your finished apple core.
If you cut your fabric the same size as this, remember that the seams will take away 1/4″ on all sides.
Take this into consideration when using a plate or other object for your circle.
If you find that the shape isn’t large enough when it’s sewn together to other apple cores….. tape this template to a new piece of paper and measure 1/4″ around the shape to enlarge it. Cut the larger template out and use that instead.