Today we begin the fun of sewing our Elf on the Shelf dolls! The accessories will be coming tomorrow…today we will be focusing on the dolls themselves.
There is a boy and a girl– both hair styles are included in the templates, so you can have a choice.
These elves are 12″ tall. They have pose-able arms and legs which let them have fun hanging about, holding onto things or posing for fun.
Materials Needed to make one elf on the shelf doll:
red fabric- body, arms, 5″ X 12″
red fabric- legs 6″ X 4″ –2
cream or other fabric- face and hands 3 1/2″ X 12″
needle and thread
4 pipe cleaners
fleece 6″ X 10″ color of hair
fleece 1″ X 6″ green for collar
Free Elf on the Shelf Doll Pattern
2) Sew the 5″ red fabric to the 3 1/2″ face fabric
3) Lay the body template on the fabric- lining up the face line with the seam of the red/cream Pin in place and Cut out
4) Cut out arms lining up the hands line with the seam again.
5) Cut out legs from red fabric
6) Cut out hair from fleece
7) Sew the arms and legs, leaving the top edge open
8) Turn right sides out
9) Stuff a little bit of polyfil into the arms and legs and push to the ends
10) Fold the pipe cleaner in half and twist the end– leaving a loop. Finish twisting the rest of the pipe cleaner
11) Stuff the pipe cleaner loop end first- into the arm/legs
12) Sew the hair pieces to the front and back of heads- for the girls, cut 6 strips 1/4″ X 2″ and sew 3 to each side of the head
13) Pin the arms and legs in place and stay stitch them into place
14) Pin the front body to the back body and sew all the way around, leaving an opening on one side- under the arm for turning
15) Turn right sides out and stuff somewhat firmly. If you’d like you can snip the ends of the pipe cleaners- if not, bend them so they aren’t sharp and jabbing out of the stuffing
16) Using a ladder stitch, close the opening
17) Snip the 1″ green fleece for a pointy collar design
18) Wrap around the neck and stitch together in the back. You can snip the length if needed before sewing together.
18) Stitch a running stitch around the collar to secure to doll
19) Sew buttons in place (you can substitute this with felt if you’d like) and cheeks
20) Tie ribbons around the hair ponies and secure with a knot
See how they can bend and play?
Here are the other Tutorials—-
Patchwork Bag for Storage and a personalized Tag,
Elf on the Shelf doll- boy and girl or if you’d like here is the whole pattern set ready to print and sew!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.