The fun thing about this pillow is that it is totally customizable. Depending on the embroidery that will be stitched, or the name length, the pillow can be custom sized around it.
There is no pillow form, so again you can customize your size and learn how to stuff things so they aren’t lumpy!
embroidery thread and needle
12″ X 25″ fabric
12″ X 15″ background for embroidery
2– 12″ ric rac (optional)
Embroidery Pillow – Sewing Projects for Kids Series:
1) Write with pencil the name on the right side of the background embroidery fabric
2) Stitch the letters and any other lines you drew
3) Sew the 25″ fabric to one side of the embroidery piece
4) Fold the fabric over and sew to the other side of the embroidery piece (this will make a tube)
5) Open the tube as best you can and iron the seam
6) Pin the ric rac in place on the seam and stitch down the center
7) Repeat with the other side
8) Fold the tube over each other- right sides facing and play with the layout. We centered the embroidery piece on the pillow
9) Pin all sides
10) Sew around the whole pillow, leaving a 4″ opening for turning
11) Turn right sides out and iron
12) Fill with polyfil stuffing
13) Stitch the opening closed with a ladder stitch
This is part of the Sewing Projects for Kids series. Watch for more sewing tutorials just for kids to sew!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.