My kids use a lot of composition books. They use them for piano lessons, quick notes, journals and homeschool assignments. They are they perfect size for tucking into a bag or leaving around the house so you can quickly find something to write an idea down or whatever you’d like!
The problem with composition book covers, their covers aren’t that great looking. An easy way to cover that up is with fabric. What’s even better is that it becomes personalized!
The elastic closure is a simple addition to keep it closed and loose papers inside.
29″ X 10 3/4″ fabric- outside cover
elastic closure- 12″
Composition Book Cover with Elastic Close Tutorial- Sewing Projects for Kids Series:
1) Hems the short ends of the cover fabric
2) Measure from center 6 1/2″ and mark on the side. Repeat with other side
3) Measure again 8″ from one side for the elastic placement
4) Line up the elastic and pin in place.
5) Stitch the edges down to secure
6) Fold the ends in, using the marks from step 2 as a guide
7) Pin all the way around the outside of the cover
8) Stitch along the top and bottom edge of the cover- make sure the hems stay flat and don’t pucker. Use more pins to secure if needed
9) Turn right sides out and iron – the middle part of the folded pockets will automatically fold in
10) Place your composition book inside. If you’d like you can sew a finishing stitch along the whole outside.
This is part of the Sewing Projects for Kids series. Watch for more sewing tutorials just for kids to sew!
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!