Today we will be working on flying geese units!
They are simple to do and while there are a couple of different methods for cutting and sewing them, I’ll show you how to do them one way, with a few suggestions for other ways.
Flying Geese Blocks Cut Instructions~
36– 5 1/2″ X 5 1/2″ background
108– 3″ X 3″ green (or color/fabrics you chose to sew with)
Flying Geese Blocks:
Draw a line from corner to corner on the wrong side of the 3″ squares
1) Place the 3″ squares at opposite corners of the background square
2) Sew on either side of the drawn line
3) Cut on drawn line and iron
4) Place a 3″ square in the last corner of the background
5) Sew on either side of the drawn line
6) Cut on drawn line and iron
Square these to 4 1/2″ X 2 1/2″
You’ll have 72 flying geese total
You can also use the flying geese ruler by Fons and Porters- here’s a quick video show you how to use it:
To show off your blocks– join the Quilting 101 fb group here.
Can’t wait to see your blocks!
Would you like to sew along? Join the email list here and we’ll send you a note when the blocks and steps are posted! You won’t miss one more step!
Are you missing some of the steps? You’ll find all the info for the mystery quilt along here.