This little modern mini quilt is so simple to sew! Use your own half square triangles from a previous project or sitting in your stash.
No half square triangles lying about? That’s fine too- they are quick to sew up.
There are a couple of videos that will help you along as well. How to square up your half square triangles and how to bind the quilt using the backing fabric.
11 — 2″ X 2″ half square triangles (use them from your stash)
6 — 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ background
6 — 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ color
2 — 5″ X 2″ background
2 — 6 1/2″ X 2″ background
2 — 1 1/2″ X 8″ background
2 — 1 1/2″ X 10 1/4″ background
Modern Mini Quilt Instructions~
1) lay right sides together the 2 1/2″ squares- background and color
2) Draw a line on the wrong side of the background fabric from corner to corner
3) Stitch on either side of the drawn line with a 1/4″ seam allowance
4) Cut on the drawn line
5) Trim the half square triangle to 2″ x 2″
6) Using 9 of the half square triangles- sew them into 3 rows of 3 triangles each
7) Sew the rows of half square triangles together
8) Stitch the two 5″ X 2″ background to the top and bottom of the 9 patch of half square triangles
9) Stitch a half square triangle to one end of the two 6 1/2″ X 2″ background
10) Sew to the sides of the center
11) Sew the outside border backgrounds to the new center
12) Layer with batting and backing and quilt as you’d like
13) Bind the quilt
yes- you’ll have one half square triangle left over. Use it on the back of the quilt!
How to bind with the backing fabric Video~
How to square up your half square triangles Video~
This is what I’ve learned sewing small lately.
Are you a mini quilt sewer?
What is the smallest size you’ve made?
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.