This little modern mini quilt is so simple to sew! Â Use your own half square triangles from a previous project or sitting in your stash.
No half square triangles lying about? Â That’s fine too- they are quick to sew up.
There are a couple of videos that will help you along as well. Â How to square up your half square triangles and how to bind the quilt using the backing fabric.
11 — 2″ X 2″ half square triangles (use them from your stash)
6 — 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ background
6 — 2 1/2″ X 2 1/2″ color
2 — 5″ X 2″ background
2 — 6 1/2″ X 2″ background
2 — 1 1/2″ X 8″ background
2 — 1 1/2″ X 10 1/4″ background
Modern Mini Quilt Instructions~
1) lay right sides together the 2 1/2″ squares- background and color
2) Draw a line on the wrong side of the background fabric from corner to corner
3) Stitch on either side of the drawn line with a 1/4″ seam allowance
4) Cut on the drawn line
5) Trim the half square triangle to 2″ x 2″
6) Using 9 of the half square triangles- sew them into 3 rows of 3 triangles each
7) Â Sew the rows of half square triangles together
8) Â Stitch the two 5″ X 2″ background to the top and bottom of the 9 patch of half square triangles
9) Â Stitch a half square triangle to one end of the twoÂ 6 1/2″ X 2″ background
10) Sew to the sides of the center
11) Â Sew the outside border backgrounds to the new center
12) Layer with batting and backing and quilt as you’d like
13) Bind the quilt
yes- you’ll have one half square triangle left over. Â Use it on the back of the quilt!
How to bind with the backing fabric Video~
How to square up your half square triangles Video~
This is what I’ve learned sewing small lately.
Are you a mini quilt sewer? Â
What is the smallest size you’ve made?