Learn how to sew up an I spy quilt block with this tutorial and video. You’ll need only 2 pieces of fabric per block. No waste method!
The I spy quilt block (also referred to as the eye spy quilt block) is really a quick and simple quilt block. It’s one that I’ve used a few times.
It’s a very forgiving quilt block as the points are lost in the process….not because you sewed them wrong!
The fun thing about the quilt block is that your conversation or spy fabric is going to be in the center of the block and will be surrounded by your background. When you sew your blocks together, the centers will be on point- giving your quilt even more interest and fun!
This past year I worked on a few quilts for the kids.
They were made using a layer cake (which is 10″ X 10″ squares of fabric). I’ll show later on how to make the quilt, but for today, I thought I’d show you a quick tutorial on how to sew up the I spy quilt block.
2 pieces of fabric the SAME SIZE!!! You will need one background fabric and one of the conversation or I spy fabric
I spy Quilt Block Tutorial:
1) Per block you’ll need one background and one conversation fabric
2) Draw a line from corner to corner on the WRONG side of the background fabric- repeat with other side
3) Lay the background and fabric RIGHT sides facing
4) Stitch all the way around the square- all 4 sides
5) Pinch apart the fabrics at the center
6) Snip in the center and then cut along the drawn lines
7) Square up your quilt block- snip off those points to reduce bulk. Be careful with the fabric as it’s the bias edge!
Here’s a video if you’d like to see it in action:
This is the quilt that was made using these quilt blocks– tutorial for it here!
Make sure you click the subscribe button so you don’t miss another quilt video. (they go up weekly!)
Have you made this block before? How did it go?
All the details you need to know about Quilting & how to get started!
Quilting doesn't have to be hard or complicated and overwhelming. It can be fun and a great way to relieve stress! Start with our 13 quilting basics for beginners and end with a fun sewing project. With a variety of projects, tutorials with the hints and tips, videos and more - you'll find something new every time you visit.
Click here to get the details!