This denim clutch is perfect for those times when you need to carry around a few things, but don’t want to lug around a large purse. You can toss your keys, phone and wallet and be on your way.
The front of the clutch shows off the fun colored denim in folded pleats. It’s not that complicated and a great way to add some interested to your bags or pouches.
HeatnBond® Fusible Fleece– 2 pieces 6 1/2″ X 11 1/2″
front & back denim: 6 1/2″ X 11 1/2″
lining: 6 1/2″ X 11 1/2″
pocket- 6 1/2″ X 11 1/2″
colored denim strips: 2 1/2″ X 13″ in each color you’d like to use
top of the bag –you can choose the outside denim or a different color: 5″ X 12″
*the bag in the image shows another blue strip across the top. I added a little pocket, but it seriously isn’t deep enough to do anything with and kind of useless, so I omitted it from the tutorial*
Denim Clutch Instructions:
Iron the front and back pieces to the fusible fleece before you start. You will be stitching the colored denim strips to secure the outside piece to the fusible fleece. This will give the bag more structure.
1) Place the first folded strip and pin to secure- you can play with the angle of the strip or just go straight across, you decide. Sew across the top (the raw edge– folded edge will be at the bottom)
2) Place the second folded strip on top of the first one. Make sure the stitching isn’t exposed. Sew across the top to secure.
3) Repeat until you are happy with your front
4) To cover the last seam, use a large piece of the front (or whatever color you’d like) and sew it to the top. Fold over and iron
5) Trim the front to the correct size
6) Cut one piece 2 1/2″ X 3″ Fold in half and iron. Open the fold and then fold the outside to meet in the middle. The crease from earlier will help to line them up. Iron well. Sew along both sides
7) Fold the pocket in half and iron
8) Pin in place and sew to secure sections in the pocket
9) Layer the pieces to sew the zipper in place: front piece, small zipper tag, zipper, lining. Pin to secure and stitch in place
10) Repeat with the other side of the zipper: lining on back, zipper, zipper tag, front. Pin to secure and stitch in place
10) Open the pieces up and line up the lining with the lining and the outside denim with the outside denim
11) Sew all the way around- leaving a three in hole for turning in the lining along the bottom
12) Snip the corners, turn right sides out. Sew the opening closed and stuff inside the bag.
Load up your denim clutch with your goodies and you are set to go!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.