This denim clutch is perfect for those times when you need to carry around a few things, but donâ€™t want to lug around a large purse. Â You can toss your keys, phone and wallet and be on your way.
The front of the clutch shows off the fun colored denim in folded pleats. Â Itâ€™s not that complicated and a great way to add some interested to your bags or pouches.
HeatnBondÂ® Fusible Fleece– 2 pieces 6 1/2â€³ X 11 1/2â€³
front & back denim: 6 1/2â€³ X 11 1/2â€³
lining: 6 1/2â€³ X 11 1/2â€³
pocket- 6 1/2â€³ X 11 1/2â€³
colored denim strips: 2 1/2â€³ X 13â€³ in each color youâ€™d like to use
top of the bag â€“you can choose the outside denim or a different color: 5â€³ X 12â€³
*the bag in the image shows another blue strip across the top. I added a little pocket, but it seriously isnâ€™t deep enough to do anything with and kind of useless, so I omitted it from the tutorial*
Denim Clutch Instructions:
Iron the front and back pieces to the fusible fleece before you start. Â You will be stitching the colored denim strips to secure the outside piece to the fusible fleece. Â This will give the bag more structure.
1) Â Place the first folded strip and pin to secure- you can play with the angle of the strip or just go straight across, you decide. Â Sew across the top (the raw edgeâ€“ folded edge will be at the bottom)
2) Â Place the second folded strip on top of the first one. Â Make sure the stitching isnâ€™t exposed. Â Sew across the top to secure.
3) Â Repeat until you are happy with your front
4) Â To cover the last seam, use a large piece of the front (or whatever color youâ€™d like) and sew it to the top. Â Fold over and iron
5) Â Trim the front to the correct size
6) Â Cut one piece 2 1/2â€³ X Â 3â€³ Â Fold in half and iron. Â Open the fold and then fold the outside to meet in the middle. Â The crease from earlier will help to line them up. Â Iron well. Â Sew along both sides
7) Â Fold the pocket in half and iron
8) Â Pin in place and sew to secure sections in the pocket
9) Â Layer the pieces to sew the zipper in place: Â front piece, small zipper tag, zipper, lining. Pin to secure andÂ stitch in place
10) Â Repeat with the other side of the zipper: lining on back, zipper, zipper tag, front. Â Pin to secure and stitch in place
10) Â Open the pieces up and line up the lining with the lining and the outside denim with the outside denim
11) Â Sew all the way around- leaving a three in hole for turning in the lining along the bottom
12) Â Snip the corners, turn right sides out. Â Sew the opening closed and stuff inside the bag.
Load up your denim clutch with your goodies and you are set to go!