This site uses affiliate links. If you click and purchase from them, I'll earn a small commission.
Don’t let your supplies and fabric take over your space. Here are some helpful tips to declutter your sewing room and get organized.
Now that you have a pretty good idea of what your sewing room can look like and how to organize it– let’s chat for a quick minute about decluttering your sewing room.
This is not an easy subject as I find that I really like what I have and I really don’t want to give it up! But in the end there comes a point in time when you are sooo overloaded with fabric and supplies that declutter is the only option.
The process is the same really for each of these areas. Don’t overthink things. Just concur it section by section. By the end you’ll be done and you never would have thought it could happen!
Questions to ask yourself while sorting:
- How old is this? I know we all keep things for a long time. But really consider this.
- What is this for? If it’s for a project- try to collect all the elements together
- Is this quality? The last time I sorted through my sewing room I got rid of a ton of fabric. Gasp! But really it wasn’t good fabric. It was thin. It was crap. I didn’t want that in my projects anymore. I need fabric that will last- so that was a big helper in deciding whether I kept it or not.
- Do I have multiples? How many scissors does one need? Ok- bad example. But other supplies. Do you have 3 – 6″ rulers? 2000 zippers?
- Will I really use it? Be honest with yourself. If it has sat there for soo long and every time you could have used it, you passed. That’s a pretty good sign it won’t be used any time soon. Time to move it on.
Here are a few spots that most of us have that you can work on.
Declutter your Sewing Room by Space:
- Counters and work space
- Bins and containers
Declutter your Sewing Room by topic:
- notions – zippers, ric rac, hem tape, ribbon, lace, buttons, yarn
- supplies – scissors, pens, rotary cutters, pins, needles
- misc- batting, interfacing, fusibles
Either way will work. It will take time, but then when you are all done you’ll know what you have (it’s a great reminder of what you have!) and you’ll be able to get going on the next project because you can find everything needed for it!
Have a solution for sorting or decluttering your sewing room? Share it with us!