In the Leafy Treetops
Today you will be cutting the leaves, branches, and birds.—-
LEAVES: I used 3 different fabrics for the leaves. There are 5 big leaves and 13 smaller leaves. My big leaves are made with one fabric and the smaller ones have 2 different fabrics.
You can use fat quarters for these. or just mix and match for the more scrappy look.
BRANCHES: I used one fabric for the branches. They are strips –not cut on the bias– i maybe should have, but figured that they are going to be shaggy so really, if there was a pucker every once in awhile it was no biggie. I also left the edges where they join, or change size, or direction raw. They will shag and give it some more character. That is the idea anyways. So far, it works.
BIRDS: Mine are matchy-matchy. You will need a dark and a light/medium color fabric. The bird in one and the wing in the contrasting other. You will also need just a bit of yellow for the beak. The birds are smaller than 6″ square.
1) Print out the patterns. Cut the patterns out.
2) Place pattern on the front of the fabric —don’t worry now– and trace around them. Cut them out on this drawn line. I DID NOT USE wonder under or iron on backing. I just let the fabric be by itself. It will shagg easier.
3) the bird will need to be reversed for one!!
3) Cut out all the leaves and birds.
4) Cut strips of fabric out of the branch fabric. You will need to make 4 strips of 1 1/2 inch wide and 3 strips of 2 inch wide. These are cut from salvage to salvage edge.
You will be pinning forever. Just know that and it will all be ok. ok?
* Find a place to lay out the quilt top. This will make the pinning and placing a lot easier.
1) Print off the layout pattern (it is together with the patterns…don’t print it twice) and use it to put things in the right place.
2) Pin the leaves, branches, birds in their place according to the layout. *This is not the law girls. if you want to add, switch, move or delete something do it! And, This is where the pins come in handy. They are easy to move and switch and turn and whatever else to make them just right.
**HINTS** at the end of the strip i cut it at a diagonal. *When going from a thick branch to a skinny one just lay them on top of each other–cut at a diagonal– they will be fine when washed.* Don’t force the curves. *if you are really having a hard time CUT IT!!! at an angle of course…but it will be fine in the wash later.* The strips of branches have no length given because you are really just eye-balling it. Lay the strip down, eye-ball, eye-ball, then cut at an angle. Move to the next branch. Easy Peasy.
Now, get out there and print, cut, and pin those pieces!!!
* If after you have the ‘perfect’ layout that you just love and you are going to be using your sewing machine for stitching this quilt replace the pins with safety pins. It will save you a lot of ouchies and blood too 🙂 You could also use a glue stick to keep them in place. That does work pretty good for keeping applique in it’s place.
TOMORROW—we will be sewing this down. I’ll show you some stitching that i used. You need to get your batting and backing ready. Make sure they are at around 2-3 inches larger than the top…that makes it nice when things get a little shifted…..it happens. better to be prepared!
I have a new blog. I know, if only i could just focus on one thing at a time…i can’t so—you get another blog. How about that?!
It is called THREADLING.. Go on. pop on over…only if you promise to come back here. Well, what do you think? Here is where i am going with the THREADLING blog….follow me here—not to the blog, just with the thinking– I have been president of a quilt group, a member of 3 quilt groups, and have had many a sewing parties in the past. There is really no resource for activities, ideas, projects, do’s and don’ts……etc. I have to search and read and email till i find one good thing that actually works and is fun.!! So, in my learning of the blog world and the resources available out there….just not one stop shopping…i decided to take charge of the little niche. So there at the threadling blog you will find it all!!! yay!!! it will contain what i have found, done, or participated in doing. It will contain links to new ideas, blogs, tutorials or whatever else. So go back, take a little bit of a longer look…and play along in the giveaway why don’t ya. oh, and if you have something to share that was just fabulous and fit right in with the rest of it, then please email me. I will need to build up a surplus—don’t make me find and test all the good ideas now.
See ya tomorrow for some more stitching!!!