This week we are going to work on our borders! With the sashing all done in a simple mode….plus the little surprise star in between the blocks, so I decided to get just a little bit busy with the borders.
To keep it super simple to sew though, how about half square triangles. I love that they come in two packs….and that the size made them fit perfectly around the sashing.
35– 4″ X 4″ backgrounds
35– 4″ X 4″ various fabrics from quilt top
For instructions on the sashing you can go here: Around the Block Quilt Along Sashing Tutorial
Instructions for the Border~
1) Pin together- right sides facing, one background to a various fabric sqaure
2) Draw a line down the center from corner to corner on the wrong side of the background fabric
3) Sew 1/4″ on either side of the drawn line
4) Cut on the drawn line
6) Sew together:
2 Rows- 16– 1/2 square triangles together
2 Rows- 19– 1/2 square triangles together
7) Sew the 19– 1/2 square triangles to the sides of the quilt. Notice that I placed the background part of the half square triangle on the outside of the quilt. The quilt top was already bordered with a background, so I thought that adding the color next to that would be the best. Feel free to place yours how you’d like. Also- I was running out of fabric so my background is scrappy. I tried to keep it to the blue/light value.
8) Sew the 16– 1/2 square triangles to the top and bottom of the quilt. The half square triangles at the corners will clash. If you have a problem with this, you can replace the last 1/2 square triangle with a 3 1/2″ square background piece
I am so happy with how this quilt is turning out. It is so spring-ie and cheery. I love it! Next we will be working on quilting and then binding. Can’t wait to see what your quilts look like!
This is part of the Round Robin Quilt Along Series––
Please share your quilt in the gallery– flickr group. Can’t wait to see what you are sewing!
For all the Quilt Blocks in the Round Robin- Clickety Click here.